Job Opportunity on Corporate Accountability
Head of Brussels Operations of Environmental Law Service (ELS)
Deadline: Monday May 7th, 2012
Based in: Brussels
ELS seeks a dynamic, entrepreneurial and talented person to lead its Brussels operations.
This is a new full-time (40 hours per week), twelve-month position that is subject to
renewal of grant funding.
Through its Brussels operations ELS aims to:
- Influence the building of an EU legal framework on corporate accountability, and in doing so provide legal support to the work of the European Coalition for Corporate Justice
- Build capacity and knowledge among NGOs on the legal aspects of and solutions to the lack of corporate accountability, including on the issues of access to justice, corporate governance and director responsibility
- Help eliminate the flaws in European climate legislation and policy, as well as raise awareness of, and provide a counterbalance to the adverse influence of groups with a special interest in this area
- Move discussions of European policy-makers towards addressing the governance gaps that threaten the democratic nature and sustainability of our society
The Head of ELS Brussels Operations is responsible for:
- building relationships with non-governmental organisations working on corporate accountability, climate change and transparency issues and with relevant policymakers
- identifying and analysing policy opportunities and developing and implementing advocacy strategies
- carrying out legal analyses and writing reports and briefings
- fundraising and the development and management of a small staff
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to the mission of ELS.
Education & Knowledge:
- A degree in Law or in a closely related field is required;
- Knowledge of corporate accountability, human rights, environmental, and transparency issues is preferred.
- Experience in a professional environment involving legal or political work
- Experience in writing professional texts
- Experience in budgeting and financial management
Desired Skills and Attributes:
- Good analytical and evaluating skills
- Very strong oral and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work with complex legal concepts
- Appetite for fundraising and developing organizational structures and support
- Very good writing and editing skills
- Creative and strategic thinking
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends/evenings
- We offer a position starting the 1st of June 2012 for a period of 1 year with the intention to prolong the contract. Later start is negotiable.
- We can offer a gross monthly salary between Euro 2.800 and 3.150 on the basis of a 5 d/w contract.
For more information, please contact Filip Gregor, head of corporate accountability section: +420 775 154 083 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your application letter before May 7th together with your CV to: email@example.com
Interviews are scheduled for the third week of May in Brussels.
(For the Czech candidates it is possible to arrange an interview in Brno). Only the candidates who will be invited for interviews will be notified.